Google Places Optimization Strategies for Traffic
Much has been written and spoken about Google Places local SEO for generating local traffic. The question that is still of grave concern to many small business owners, is how can I compete with the big SEO companies to improve my rankings on Google Search Engine?
According to a global media company specializing in Search Engine Optimization and enhancing online marketing for local businesses, they have done a comprehensive survey with top-ranking companies that have come through the ranks of SEO Marketing.
The top 13 strategies claimed to be key factors gained through their experiences to improve your rankings.
- Category associations should be selected with care to ensure they are relevant to your service or product.
- Your location must always be relevant to the customers you serve, i.e. your business physical address should be in close proximity to local searchers.
- Get listed on other sites and directories using the same address and contact details. Google will check if your website address, as well as phone number, aligns with your listing to ascertain its authenticity.
- The length of time that your website has been in existence and how does it rank. Does the site you are listed on rank high?
- You should have quality links to your site. Ensure that your business is being promoted through these links. Every site that mentions you receives a ranking on their page from Google ranging from 1-10.
- Always ensure that you verify your page on Google Plus and your Local listing on Google. To remain relevant, these must be owner-verified!
- Improve your ranking by adding the City that your business is situated in as well as the State in the title of ‘Places Landing’. This counts in your favor to add your local city and the state in the title.
- It is imperative to obtain reviews from your customers. Regard negative reviews as constructive criticism and use them in your company’s favor by dealing with them in an empathetic manner.
- Encourage customer reviews as it plays an important role in increasing your company’s rank. Also, encourage reviews that are specific to Google.
- Your Business title should contain one or two keywords related to the services as well as products (if any) that you offer. Don’t overdo it!
- Links from local listings and relevant sites, also try to get appraisals and inbound links to your local listing.
- Obtain strategic links to your business site on relevant local sites. Try to obtain reviews and links to your local listing from local places in the city.
- Investigate which online tools you could utilize to gauge the number of conversions on your site as well as where it originates from.
Negative Google Places Optimization Local Factors:
- False listings. Reported or discovered by the Google platform.
- Do not stuff keywords into the name of your business Rather use only one keyword in the name of your business (if at all), to be safe.
- Do not select too many categories, only choose three or less. This counts the same as stuffing keywords into the name of your business.
- Do not list different pages across ‘Place Pages’ containing the same or similar business details as your original listing. If you attempt to add more listings of the same business or use the same address, Google will pick up on it and penalize you.
- Do not use the P O Box number similar to UPS Mail Store addresses. Google is aware of this and will penalize you.
- Page Descriptions stuffed with keywords. Google will not tolerate this.
- Keep your categories as concise and accurate as possible.
Google Places, also known as “Google Maps” is definitely the perfect site for your business to get local place listing and to grow. Google Maps is searched by millions of people every day and research has shown that 73% of all online searches pertain to local content.